Monday, February 1, 2010

Ticker Tape Parade

Ok, today I'm going to do something slightly different and talk about event coverage. I photographed the ticker tape parade thrown by New York City when the Giants won the Superbowl in February 2008. It would have been much easier to do this with the press, but I chose to photograph it from the fans' perspective, as their antics were, in general, far more interesting than the honorees. However, that being said, there were some good moments up with the stars too. It was tough being in the scrum with the crowd, because everyone was jostling for a better view. They also stuck every form of photographic device up in the air to get their shots too... so I had to resort to something similar. This is the first time that I actually saw a real benefit to the Live View feature that had only just been introduced to the Canon SLR line with the 1D MkIII. I was able to hold my heavy camera up in the air, but still compose my images cleanly because I could see what the lens was seeing. It was hard work of course, but good exercise, as I like to think. (Please click on the images to see larger versions).


Compositionally, there were some fantastic moments, especially when the float carrying quarterback Eli Manning, and defensive end Michael Strahan trundled by. They passed a storefront which advertised "Clothing Bargains for Millionaires"... but in my shot, the name got truncated to "Gains for Millionaires" with the two men showing off the Vince Lombardi Trophy for the crowd. It was an interesting juxtaposition, and surprisingly fortuitous. It's important to notice these little details, as they can add extra, or unintended context to the shot.


Then there was the moment when the Giants of Yore floated on by. Just as they passed where I was standing, they all brandished the commemorative Superbowl Victory newspaper. One of them looked right at me with the most incredible grin on his face. It seemed to be a deliberate act, just for my camera. I wish I knew who he was, because I love this image, and it's his look which makes it work.

Then there was the moment I saw these children with their parents, clearly financial workers, behind the screened off windows of their office building. I thought it looked rather snooty at the time... an us versus them attitude to the rest of the crowd outside, but given the banking meltdown that began to unfurl just a short period later, it lends a whole new context to the image.

Then there was the mess... paper was flying, and lying everywhere... draped upon the buildings, on the streets, hanging from the stop lights, and even covering the graves in a local church. An army of street cleaners moved in to remove it all as soon as the parade had ended, ... it was an impressive display of the city in action... coupled with the enormously heavy police presence.






The following images show some of the street scenes with police and fans... hope you enjoy the mayhem. It was a fascinating event to witness.










No comments:

Post a Comment